Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Facebook Fast: Day 2

I’d like to thank my lovely friends who continue to rub salt in my wounds by writing on my wall knowing full well that I cannot respond… A special thanks to Kevin and Leann who have been scheming with one another about how they’re going to get me to break. I can still look at Facebook you two… I see what you write on each other’s walls…

Day 1 was a rough one. Like the raw food diet I started yesterday that led me to bed by 5 PM, I thought I would crack last night for sure as my phone continued to buzz with Facebook notifications. I even cheated and made my wonderful roommate defend me by commenting on one of the posts on my wall. They were trying to say I had bad grammar!! I couldn’t just let that one go… I am a grammar Nazi…

But I must admit, day 2 is significantly easier. I’ve been able to numb my cravings with YouTube videos of moaning turtles and cute animal pictures sent to me by Thomas via Stumble Upon. In fact, it wasn’t until 10 or so this morning that I finally logged in to FB to check my messages and see what was going on. (I usually log in by 7:30 or 8…) As a current Facebook outsider, I can see why people don’t always have the most positive things to say about social networking. In the words of Mr. Griffith from the movie Easy A, “I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds. ‘Roman is having an OK day, and bought a Coke Zero at the gas station. Raise the roof.’ Who gives a rat's ass?” Haha!!


No, I have not done a “180” in only a day’s time. I continue to leave my “diamonds” strewn across the feed of Twitter. But I do start to wonder, in an era where spell check has led us to acceptable stupidity and where expressions like FML and OMG are commonplace, why do we still feel the need to write everything down? Doesn’t it only highlight the flaws in our quickly degrading vocabulary and inability to spell and use proper grammar? Perhaps when I resume my Facebooking next Monday at 8:30 PM I will keep this in mind and keep my “diamonds” to a minimum… But then again, maybe not… ;)


Check in tomorrow to see the update on my week long FB fast.


Until next time with more Random Thoughts From the Shower, this is KRS signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment