Tuesday, September 8, 2009

If you're not looking up, you're looking down

I came up with the idea for this entry a few days ago but didn't want to write it until I had a catchy title. While checking my Facebook for the millionth time today (I'm up North cat sitting and I'm REALLY really bored) I saw a status with this phrase and decided to use it. So here is where I give credit to Kris for my catchy headline. Thank you!! lol

Oh and yes, you read that right. I am cat sitting. My parents recently adopted 2 kittens and wanted to go on vacation for the long weekend. They can't leave the kittens alone because A. they will tear up the house and B. their other cat will probably try to kill them. (He's not happy to be sharing his home with new comers.) They were going to have to pay someone to stay at the house and watch them, so, being the wonderful daughter that I am, I passed up on a crazy Labor Day weekend with my friends to come up North and help them out. How amazing am I?? O:)

But anyways, enough small talk. On to my original topic: Looking up. Now this may seem odd to most as gazing at the ceiling isn't something people normally do. They look down towards the ground where they are walking and they look others in the eye when they are talking to them, but looking up is mostly a direction reserved for children and day dreamers. Recently, however, I have taken to glancing in this direction while inside buildings I frequent often. There can be a lot of interesting things up there!! Restaurants decorate their higher regions with random clutter and old paraphernalia. Fancy housing complexes may be hiding their flaws and unfinished work just above your head. The other day I discovered a giant nest at the top of a tree in my childhood backyard. That could have been up there for ages and I would never have noticed had I not decided to start gazing toward the stars. As soon as I started realizing I might be missing out on a third of the world around me, I started looking up even more. Now, there are very few places I will go that I do not inspect from ceiling to floor, and in that order too. Maybe that places me in the category with children and dreamers, and if that is the case so be it. But if children and dreamers are the only ones who get to experience this view, then that is the group I wish to be apart of.   

As children we are told to reach for the stars in regards to our future, but today I urge you to just glance in their direction from time to time. Who knows, you may spot something worth noting.

Until next time with more Random Thoughts From the Shower, this is KRS signing off J

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, by joining the children and the dreamers, you are joining me. I probably look up more than I look down, hence my clumsiness. There is quite an amazing world out there, we as a society just need to explore it more.

    To looking up!

    ReplyDelete